On Thursday, December 18th we had an incredible Interest Gathering at Knightdale Rec Center. It was there that I shared some critical updates as we press on toward our launch Sunday.
Some of the updates I shared are:
- The securing of Knightdale High School is all but done. The only thing we’re waiting on is a final approval of our revised contract with the school. After that, and once we write our first rent’s check, we’re locked in!
- We wrote our first large check to Portable Church Industries (PCI) to get the process started on their end. Now, the equipment is in the manufacturing and design stages. They’re top-notch and provide some fantastic equipment. (Here are some pictures).
- Being inspired by another planting pastor, together we prayed a very specific prayer – that God would send a person to give who’s never given before to The Edge Church. That same day, we had someone give a sacrificial donation! I called my pastor friend back and said, “let’s pray that same prayer again!”. The next day we had a church in Leesburg send us a check for $2,000!
- Financial update: we still have roughly $50,000 due to PCI, $15,000 due for used PCI equipment, $14,000 for a projector, speakers and other critical supplies, $18,000 for marketing, website design and other upcoming expenses
I shared that for us to reach the goal of launching strong, it’s going to take several things. It’s going to take the continued generosity of outside givers and churches. (If you’re reading this and that’s one of you, thank you so much for helping us reach people in Wake County.) It’s also going to take the generosity of our launch team – people who understand the concept of giving God a portion back of what He gives to us financially. Tithing (10% of what we earn) and giving an offering (anything above the 10%) is going to help enable The Edge Church do what God has called her to do.
One of our core values is that we want to restore hope in the local church – and part of doing that is by sharing openly what’s going on. Transparency is critical. So I have to be open and honest about The Edge’s financial needs.
I’ll be honest again: it’s going to take a number of miracles for us to raise those funds. We’re looking at some significant numbers – figures that are impossible without God.
It’s a good thing God doesn’t have the same ledger book that I have! He isn’t short financially and He isn’t incapable of doing above and beyond what we could think or imagine. Furthermore, God’s will is for The Edge Church to launch strong and reach many for the sake of Christ! We’re actually fulfilling God’s will and vision for Wake County as we plant this church.
A day after our Interest Gathering, our generous sending church wrote us a check. Rather than trying to describe it to you, I’ll let you simply view the video they created when they wrote not one, but TWO checks to their new daughter churches.
Isn’t God good?
Promotion comes from God and in God’s timing
These were words I heard often. And in fact, 2-3 years ago I really needed to hear them. If I’m honest, I was a bit anxious for ordination. I had, after all, felt called back in high school to be a pastor.
Over the past year or two, God had been changing my heart slowly and quietly. No longer was I anxious to be ordained. I wasn’t angry toward anyone or any circumstances. I simply enjoyed the opportunities I was being given to minister to others at Community Church.
Then this year I heard the news. This was to be the year that I was going to be ordained. It wasn’t a done deal because I suppose I could have renounced God and turned away from everything. But as long as I didn’t blow up, I learned that 2014 was when it would happen.
On June 4, 2014, I had the privilege of being ordained as a pastor. Not only that, I was ordained along my friend for many years – Alain Noriega.
What an powerful service it was! Dr. Samuel spoke and encouraged us in three things – to walk circumspectly, to witness and to work tirelessly in the ministry.
One of my favorite pictures was of something I didn’t know took place. During the ceremony, while Alain and I were kneeling at the front, my oldest daughter was in her chair 10 feet away and decided to kneel and pray just like her daddy was doing. Precious.
Friends and Family
To our friends and our family – thank you. You have been shaping and molding us since the day we were born. It’s only because of you that we are here today; we stand on your shoulders. You taught us how to pursue God and how to listen for His voice and direction. You helped us sharpen our skills and tweak our leadership style. And countless times you were simply there for us. We appreciate each of you.
This seems to be our everyday question from friends and family. And as overwhelming as things sometimes are, we still love sharing what’s going on in our unfolding narrative!
But let’s be honest; it’s God’s unfolding narrative. We simply have the joy in joining Him at work already in the hearts and lives of people…people we haven’t even met yet!
So, do you want to know the latest news? Let me share one disclaimer. Karen and I both feel like the story is unfolding every 24 hours. In other words, what is “news” today will essentially be outshouted by new news the following day. The story has many new pages written each and every week. So with that in mind, here are some bullet points:
- Karen was able to unwind last week and take an extended weekend trip with girlfriends. This was an important time for her to recharge (read: get sleep) without children interrupting. I was proud to have not had any emergency room or psychiatric visits while watching the kids at home.
- I (Pete) went to Exponential Orlando – the largest church planting conference in the world. It was an incredible time of learning, equipping and networking. Andy Stanley, Matt Chandler, Bill Hybels, Nicky Gumble, Tim Keller; so many big names! For photos, check my instagram feed.
- Yesterday in church, Pastor Charlie formally announced that Community Church is sending not one but two life-giving churches this year. What an exciting and challenging opportunity for Community to not simply reach others but plant another church that will exponentially expand the kingdom!
- Today I (Pete) had three meetings, two with work to ensure a smooth transition as I am being given the opportunity to focus 100% of my time and energy on our church plant. (We are incredibly thankful that we even have that as an option.)
- Our third meeting was with our incredibly awesome realtors (Rich and Lena are amazing). We are listing our home much sooner than we previously thought, but this is so that we can get to Knightdale as soon as possible. The completion of the bathroom in the basement, our final caveat to selling, should happen within the next week and a half. Once completed, we’ll list our house and begin the process of selling!
Life really feels like it’s going 100 mph. But everything that’s taking place is good. In fact, it’s God-ordained because He is birthing a church out of all that is taking place.
It’s God’s responsibility to grow the church; we simply need to stay faithful to work hard at what is in front of us while keeping our ears and eyes open to where He is leading us. Paul (who first hunted down, jailed and killed Christians before becoming one himself) wrote that Jesus Christ is the foundation (1 Cor 3:11) and the head of the church (Ephesians 1:18-23). As we press forward, doing our best possible work and in surrender to His ultimate will, we simply trust that He will provide and open the way before us.
Here we go!