I (Pete) have often said that there are a number of moving parts that need to come together sort of at the same time as we push forward. And although they’re pivotal decisions that are interlinked, many of them require steps and progress before the decision is made.
With that in mind, here is what’s on the calendar for the next two weeks:
- Finish our house prep and list it in MLS for sale
- Write out the vision God’s placed in our hearts for Knightdale (often called “vision packet” by church planters)
- Continue pursuing fundraising opportunities
- Meet with a pastor at a church in Dulles and a pastoral couple from a church in Chantilly
- Go to Raleigh (May 15th-16th) to network with a sending church, a separate sending agency and two musicians (hopefully)
For those who are asking how to pray for us, please pray over each of these things above. Pray that our house would have multiple offers that would drive the price up, that God would divinely orchestrate the writing of the vision packet, that He would open doors for major fundraising and that the meetings with others would be fruitful and would lead to more conversations and support.
Thank you for your ongoing support, help, love and encouragement through the journey!
This seems to be our everyday question from friends and family. And as overwhelming as things sometimes are, we still love sharing what’s going on in our unfolding narrative!
But let’s be honest; it’s God’s unfolding narrative. We simply have the joy in joining Him at work already in the hearts and lives of people…people we haven’t even met yet!
So, do you want to know the latest news? Let me share one disclaimer. Karen and I both feel like the story is unfolding every 24 hours. In other words, what is “news” today will essentially be outshouted by new news the following day. The story has many new pages written each and every week. So with that in mind, here are some bullet points:
- Karen was able to unwind last week and take an extended weekend trip with girlfriends. This was an important time for her to recharge (read: get sleep) without children interrupting. I was proud to have not had any emergency room or psychiatric visits while watching the kids at home.
- I (Pete) went to Exponential Orlando – the largest church planting conference in the world. It was an incredible time of learning, equipping and networking. Andy Stanley, Matt Chandler, Bill Hybels, Nicky Gumble, Tim Keller; so many big names! For photos, check my instagram feed.
- Yesterday in church, Pastor Charlie formally announced that Community Church is sending not one but two life-giving churches this year. What an exciting and challenging opportunity for Community to not simply reach others but plant another church that will exponentially expand the kingdom!
- Today I (Pete) had three meetings, two with work to ensure a smooth transition as I am being given the opportunity to focus 100% of my time and energy on our church plant. (We are incredibly thankful that we even have that as an option.)
- Our third meeting was with our incredibly awesome realtors (Rich and Lena are amazing). We are listing our home much sooner than we previously thought, but this is so that we can get to Knightdale as soon as possible. The completion of the bathroom in the basement, our final caveat to selling, should happen within the next week and a half. Once completed, we’ll list our house and begin the process of selling!
Life really feels like it’s going 100 mph. But everything that’s taking place is good. In fact, it’s God-ordained because He is birthing a church out of all that is taking place.
It’s God’s responsibility to grow the church; we simply need to stay faithful to work hard at what is in front of us while keeping our ears and eyes open to where He is leading us. Paul (who first hunted down, jailed and killed Christians before becoming one himself) wrote that Jesus Christ is the foundation (1 Cor 3:11) and the head of the church (Ephesians 1:18-23). As we press forward, doing our best possible work and in surrender to His ultimate will, we simply trust that He will provide and open the way before us.
Here we go!